Telehealth involves the use of electronic communications to enable our therapists to provide limited services via online video conference. Telehealth may involve any of the following:
- Sharing of health records or videos
- Video or audio recording
- Live two-way audio and video
Yellow Schedule, All About Speech, Inc’s video conferencing platform, is compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) both of which are United States legislations that sets data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information. I understand I have the following rights with respect to telehealth:
I understand that I may expect the anticipated benefits from the use of telehealth in my/my child’s care, but that no results can be guaranteed or assured. Benefits may include:
- Improved access to speech-language therapy services
- More efficient home program management
- Obtaining expertise of a distant specialist
As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks associated with the use of telehealth. By signing this form, I understand the following:
- I understand that the laws that protect privacy and the confidentiality of health information also apply to telehealth, and that no information obtained in the use of telehealth which identifies me/my child will be disclosed to researchers or other entities without my consent.
- I understand that in very rare instances, security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy of personal medical information.
- In rare cases, information transmitted may not be sufficient (e.g. poor resolution of images, poor WIFI connection) to allow for appropriate decisions making by the therapist.
- I understand that I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telehealth in the course of my care at any time, without affecting my right to future care or treatment.
- I understand that I have the right to inspect all information obtained and recorded in the course of a telehealth interaction and may receive copies of this information for a reasonable fee.
- I understand that the video conferencing used by All About Speech, Inc. is HIPAA and GDPR compliant, but is not 100% secure.
- I understand that telehealth speech-language therapy services are not as effective as in-person services. I understand that if my/my child’s therapist believes services would be improved by other interventions I will be referred to those services.
- The laws that protect the confidentiality of my personal information also apply to telehealth. As such, I understand that the information released by me during the course of my sessions is confidential.
- There are both mandatory and permissive exceptions to confidentiality including but not limited to reporting child and vulnerable adult abuse, expressed imminent harm to oneself or others, or as a part of legal proceedings where information is requested by a court of law.
I have read and understand the information provided above regarding telehealth, have discussed it with my/my child’s therapist and all of my questions have been answered to my satisfaction. I hereby give my informed consent for the use of telehealth for my child/myself.